Friday, November 20, 2015

Northug has given up on winning the Tour de Ski – Sunnmørsposten

Bruksvallarna (adressa.no): With not all the world’s competition was Petter Northug devastatingly superior when he won the opening race in the Swedish season beginning in Bruksvallarna. Northug was just over half a minute ahead of Swedish Jimmie Johnsson. Martin Johansson took third place. In fourth- and fifth ended Norwegians Mikael Gunnulfsen and Chris Jespersen.

Northug made it abundantly clear after the race that this was anything other than a passage for him. He believes that a similar run under the Norwegian season opening on Beitostøl last weekend hardly had held a top 10 position.

Next weekend starts seriousness with World Cup opening in the Finnish Kuusamo. Then comes the Tour de Ski, and finally in the season the new tour in Canada. Northug has tried to win the prestigious Tour de Ski numerous times but have failed every time.



Turned off Sundby

Now, 29-year-old it clear to Adresseavisen that in reality he has given up on winning the Tour de Ski.

– There are not, not so Tour de Ski is now. I can help shape it, like last year. Last year I had the leader jersey all the way, and there are such things I have to concentrate on, he said.

Last year Northug eventually number two, behind Martin Johnsrud Sundby, who has won both the two recent years. Northug has a total of four second places and two third places in the tour.

The problem has annually been the final slopes in Val di Fiemme. Northug is both longer and heavier than most of its competitors, and this is detrimental to climb stage.



Have not specially trained

Trainer Stig Rune Kveen says he and Northug has discussed about skiing stars should have specially trained in climbing. This would not Northug to do.

– I have to take care of my forces too. Tour de Ski suits me well, except on the last leg. 97.5 percent of all ski races is not so, and then I have to train for it, says Northug to Adresseavisen.

– You have not done anything special in terms of monster ground?

– No, I have not. I need training on what 97.5 percent of the competitions is decided on, and it’s not a downhill slope.



Kveen have not given up

Therefore Northug think that the tour in Canada may suit him better.

– Yes, if you look at how the ending is. Where there are opportunities to win, while in the Tour de Ski I become a little statist up last hill. Last year I was happy, because I was in the top fifteen up the hill. If I manage to stay there, then I’m with and fighting, he said.

Kveen has not lost faith that Northug may one day be at the top of the top.

– With the right starting before the last day, and with good legs, so I think he can win. He has been strong many times, but slalom hill suits him unfortunately. It is only ten minutes during a whole season is so, says Kveen to Adresseavisen.

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment