Sunday, June 21, 2015

“On my screen took Totti Kickoff. Viewers saw a herd of lions attacking an antelope. “- Aftenposten

Lars Tjærnås ranks the most unexpected moments in his commentator’s career.

I am starting job with scouting in Fire on July 1. That means I take a break from work I do as a commentator in the Premier League. To comment on games is something I have been allowed for almost 20 years. Mostly I have not had anyone but myself to blame if I have not delivered what viewers wanted. But sometimes unforeseen events plays a poor commentator a little puss. I have ranked the three “on the podium” of such events throughout these years.

Also read: “The flying a seagull over the pitch who sees that Ingrid Hjelmseth takes the ball stuck”

Number three:

The year was 1998 and I was sent as fresh expert with Kjell Kristian Rike to London to comment on FA Cup at White Hart Lane. Kjell Kristian was a wonderful man in many ways, leaving few things to chance. Therefore we left early the place by underground as travel agent.

It worked well for a while. So it did not. Power outage.

Basically was not so dangerous. We had plenty of time. So we had a little less time, and after a long while, when we were finally flowed to the nearest station and into the daylight we had at most intermediate time. The solution was taxi. It was a solution we were not alone, nor were we alone on the road. There were massive queues, at ticking. So did blood pressure to Mr. Reich.

Finally, he decided that enough was enough. We had to jump out of the taxi and run. The driver was mildly skeptical and explained that it is “a good 3 miles to go”.

We ran a little while. With bags and equipment. I became increasingly worried for my colleague. He panted like a golden retriever in the hot sun. It simply is not bright.

We saw headlights in the distance. In our race against time seemed to end roughly draw. The final leg was a climbing stage up to the commentator platform at the top under the roof.

When we slid down on our chairs were around two minutes before the game. Claiming that my colleague looked like he was enjoying himself would be to exaggerate.

The only thing he managed to utter three words: “You must start”.

So it was that expert commentator welcomed the transmission while the main commentator got a well-deserved time out – before he delivered with panache rest of the game.

Also read: “Strange to thinking that only seven months ago Hoseth played great for Stabæk “

Number two:

Now we are in 2010, a match that many with me, designated as the perfect match. Barcelona beats Real Madrid 5-0, and I’ve never seen from tribune place a team play a better game than Barca that night.

However, it is not the only reason why I remember it.

A few hours earlier had colleague Andreas trail-Leenderts and I decided to meet in the lobby of the hotel to walk the approximately three kilometers away to Camp Nou in good time. I was ready and would take the elevator down from my room on the 8th floor.

Then stopped the lift. It stood stock-still, no matter which buttons of different colors I tried pressing. Fortunately, I never had phobias for lift in any way. It came in handy. Time passed viz. The first thing I did was to alert Andreas that I had a little problem. He took action and committed people at the reception. Soon half the property involved in the operation, with no luck. I had been once an hour in my new profile. I knew it began to boil. I was in the process of being thoroughly distressed and more thoroughly cursed.

Through mobile I required action, if not from the Prime Minister then at least from the fire department or anyone you want as arranged in such in Barcelona.

It was the fire department that sorted out Such Barcelona. There I got to experience even half an hour later when I finally was helped out while the lift still stood between two floors, and they managed to create an opening large enough to lift me out.

We ran to the stadium, and just managed to make a scheduled interview down at the grass lawn. When I later saw pictures of myself I saw a completely wild look after a endorphin- intoxication that had not gone to bed.



Number one:

Now we are in 2001. I commented matches in Serie A in three or four years (and thrived with it). It meant traveling to Stockholm where we commented from.

So also this late Saturday evening where we would turn Rome against an opponent I do not remember, from the Olympic Stadium.

I knew the feeling of nerves and excitement as the red light above the door communicated I was on the air. I wanted viewers to welcome the Olympic Stadium of beautiful Rome.

The problem was that viewers could not see anything from the beautiful Rome. I have no idea to this day what went wrong technique has never been my strongest side. Probably it was also where “anything with coil”.

It came out to viewers was – of all things- nature film. As I commented line and assumptions for the fight put viewers and saw wildebeest, antelopes and giraffes in majestically walking across an African savannah.

On my screen took Totti Kickoff. Olsen at Otta saw a herd of lions attacking a poor antelope.

It did not take many minutes. But it lasted long enough. This was, as luck, before the time where Twitter and other social media conveyed misery speed of light.

I realized, however, that this had not been particularly successful when I met the other Nordic colleagues after the game.

Just how comical it was I did not realize until the day after. This was in the time I worked in Lillestrom, and I went straight from Heathrow to training on Åråsen.

When I came into the locker room, I was, of course, warmly welcomed into the Olympic Stadium by a gang that does not just let this opportunity go by to let me hear it a long while to come.

Published: 21.jun. 2015 1:07 p.m.

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment