Sunday, May 17, 2015

Norwegian Olympic hopes fainted in training – Adresseavisen

One of our foremost Olympic hopes in Rio summer 2016, Ole-Kristian Bryhn, fainted and fell to the ground with his rifle during training to helmatchen the World Cup in Fort Benning, USA.

reports Norges Rifle Association in a statement Sunday evening.

– I only remember that I got in trouble at the very last ståskuddene during exercise and when I woke up it was full of people around the firing point that was trying to help me. It was a strange experience and quite frightening that way in retrospect, says Ole-Kristian Bryhn, representing Vestre Bærum Coffee Skytterlag.

On Friday, he finished second in the competition 50 m 60 shots lying during the World Cup competition in Fort Benning in the state of Georgia. Where is the world elite gathered for the second WC-round.

– Was taken good care of

It was during helmatchtrening Saturday night Norwegian time that Bryhn got problems at the shooting range. In extreme heat and high humidity got Bryhn first trouble with dizziness and visual disturbances, but chose to continue training. Then he fainted suddenly the firing point, writes Norwegian Rifle Association.

– Luckily I fell quite soft and damaged neither myself, others or weapon. But it could have gone much worse. I was well taken care of in the aftermath of both the physician and our team, and got me pretty quickly into the evening, says Bryhn.

On May 17th was Bryhn again healthy enough to shoot again. However, competing in helmatch, consisting of 40 shots in each position seated, knee and standing, a Shooting Time for two hours and 45 minutes. It meant that 26-year-old again got into trouble.

– The last 40 shots I shot almost unconscious. I was terrified of falling over, but refused to give me. I looked around to make sure I did not fall in any edges or bars if it were to happen again, and probably had more focus on keeping my feet than to shoot, tells Bryhn.

Proceeded to the competition

The dramatic events made Bryhn qualified for the race on Monday afternoon with a cry of distress.

– I qualified for tomorrow’s shooting and that was the goal. Now I get to start over again and hope that it will not be so hot Monday. The shooting starts earlier in the day, so it should be possible to perform normally when it really matters. But it has set a nasty trick on me, so we’ll see how it goes, says Bryhn.

National coach Anne Grethe Jeppesen is present during the World Cup in Fort Benning and follow up Bryhn closely. She says this about what happened:

– Athletes have very many clothes during shooting and combination with heat and high humidity in the air can be difficult to cope with. It is very individual and we have shooters on the team who suffer in both small and large extent of it. For Ole-Kristian is tough, but with the winner instinct he has, as he presses to great lengths to complete both training and competition. When such things happen, and it was quite dramatic as he went on alone with his rifle in his hands. But we follow him closely and is confident that it will be prudent for him to carry out Monday as planned, says Jeppesen.

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment